NordicTrack EXP-2000 treadmill buttons not working

Howie Did Electronics Repair

NordicTrack EXP-2000 treadmill buttons not working

Postby kuhurdler » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:40 am

recently I've noticed the "6" was not working on my treadmill. I used the "speed +" button as a workaround.
this morning, I did my workout as normal.
My wife then tried to use it and none of the buttons worked.

Messed with it a little. If I hit the pre-programmed workout button, it will start the belt moving. if I hit the "5" button, it thinks it's a 3. If I hit the "6" button, it thinks it's an 8.

I found the button panel here:
http://www.treadmilldoctor.com/Nordictr ... ad-Overlay

I'm not sure if its the button panel or if the brains of the unit are fried.
kuhurdler

Google

Re: NordicTrack EXP-2000 buttons not working

Postby kuhurdler » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:37 pm

Well, the short answer is that I got this thing working... and that it needs a new button panel... still.

The long answer is that I wanted to confirm that the faulty part was indeed the button panel before I bought a new one for $100 +shipping.

So I did some reverse engineering and used some old arcade parts.

This is how we do it "In the Ghetto":

CLICK ON ANY PICTURE BELOW FOR A LARGER IMAGE

I ended up only using 4 buttons: Speed up, Speed down, Start and Stop.
I had planned to use the 1 and 2 player buttons for 3mph and 6mph, but frankly, I was tired of it after deciphering the first 4 buttons.

CLICK ON ANY PICTURE FOR A LARGER IMAGE

The hard part is deciphering the button panel. It turns out each button press results in 4 different wires together. I assume this is to reduce the number of digital inputs to the controller... but it made it super hard to figure out how it worked. I ended up tracing the circuits on the button panel and following them back to the wire connection... tedious (and reminiscent of TRON)

but the boss is happy now, because her treadmill is "working". And I think I can now safely order a replacement button panel.
Last edited by kuhurdler on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
kuhurdler

Re: NordicTrack EXP-2000 buttons not working

Postby kuhurdler » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:44 pm

I bought the replacement button panel, and it's working like new again.

The boss said she'll miss the arcade buttons.
kuhurdler

Re: NordicTrack EXP-2000 treadmill buttons not working

Postby jcollinsj » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:52 am

I wanted to share my fix, just in case it could work for anyone else. This post kept coming up when I did a search, so I thought this would be a good place to put it. I found this answer from someone else on a different model treadmill than I have but it worked perfectly. I have a Proform 930i treadmill. Most of my buttons stopped working, including my start button and my lightspeed buttons at the top, so I could not make the treadmill work at all. My left stop button and some of the programs on the left worked, but since my start button would not work, I could not use the treadmill. I took out the console and did what this person did below. I actually had two ribbon strips, one going into the right side of the console and one going into the left. As soon as I removed the ribbon on the left, all my right buttons AND my top lightspeed buttons started working again. This includes my start and stop buttons on the right hand side. My next plan of action is to do what she did, to see if I can get some other stuff working, but I at least have a working treadmill.
------
I had the same problem-only one of my programs would work, and the rest of the buttons (even start) would not work. I used some scissors and carefully cut about a 1/2 inch in the plastic in between each of the copper strips in the ribbon cable. Then I seated each one individually (put them back in the white plastic thing) until I found the one that was freezing all of the other buttons up. Now all of my buttons EXCEPT for the one that was working before work. I can live without 1 program if it saves me $300
jcollinsj

Return to All Electronics